Monday, March 18, 2013

Marathon Spark

I have seen two marathons since arriving in Europe.  The first was during my trip to Marrakesh, and the second was yesterday in Barcelona.  Not only did I get to see the marathon, I got to finish the last 4 miles with Taline! This was kind of unfair because I got all the benefits of a race (i.e. the cheering, the bands, the anticipation near the finish, the look of people who though I'd just run 26.2 miles.) 

Before I had foot surgery, I was in the best shape of my life. Running was fun and easy, minus the pain in my foot of course. But after having to take two months off, immediately followed by starting my MBA, followed by starting a pretty hard internship... and throughout still having stupid pain in my feet... I basically ruled running out for distances of over 5 miles.  (If I'm being totally honest, I think I was completely burned out from years of training and put working out in general on the sideline.)

While in Barcelona, with much more free time, I have been trying to run at least once per week. I usually run 3-4 miles, at a very slow pace that often seems like walkers are passing me, and often with the feeling that I may collapse from exhaustion by the time I finish.  But I can feel the draw of getting back into a training program. 

I don't know how I could train this summer if I will be in Central and South America for most of it, but I do think it would be a good thing to start again when I get back. Perhaps maybe another half and/or full is in my future? I already have one friend (Taline) committed to joining me (i.e. keeping me accountable.) Who knows, maybe it's time to get back in the running game?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Do iiittt! Do it do it do it!

Taline said...

You can do it! You're already running five miles - and could run more, I'm sure! You pick the race, and I'll join you!