Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I tried to hide, but...

I tried to hide, but my dear friends wouldn't let me. I'm so glad they didn't - I ended up having such a fabulous birthday! I thought I'd share some cool stories from the day.

It started with a phone call from my parents Monday night. They traditionally call me to sing happy birthday each year... and this year was no different, except my Dad ended each verse with a beautiful "a day early!" So cute.

At 2:00am, my phone rang. It was Mike calling from Sweden! However, when I answered, he said "why are you answering?!" I replied "Uh, Mike? You called! And you're in Sweden! Why wouldn't I answer?" He said "No no no! Hang up. I want your voicemail." So I did, and he called back twice. In the morning, I checked my voicemail - message 1: "Erin! It's your birthday, so I'm going to play you a song! And.... uh.... oh crap, YouTube doesn't work. Bye." message 2: "Erin! Listen! ...then he played some birthday clappy song... Bye!" Hahaha... gotta love Mike.

At 11:30am, I went to a board meeting for one of my associations, and they surprised me with flowers! For the record, I haven't received flowers in, oh, maybe 2 years or more. I love those guys - they are the sweetest group ever (and part of what makes my job so special.)

At 5:00pm, I met with my long lost gemini twin Kris (and D) and we toasted our shared birthday with champagne. It was absolutely amazing to be with those two... it had been far too long, though, as always, it seems like we'd all hung out just yesterday.
Then at 7:00pm, D & I headed to meet my friends at the Black Sheep Lodge. Maggie wouldn't let me not celebrate my birthday, so she planned a happy hour/dinner. There were more gifts, friends, and a fabulous cake made by my dear Alisa. It was the tackiest, most beautiful cake ever.
The most surprising present for me came from Jerry. Oh gosh, how thoughtful that man is. After hearing me rave about the Westbank Library, to which I no longer technically belong to as I don't live in the right zip code, he got me my very own Westbank library card. Seriously. Is that not perfect or what.

So... I really am not a fan of people gushing attention on me. It makes me uncomfortable. But, I'm going to stop being so resistant... I have wonderful people in my life so I'm going to enjoy them, damnit! Thanks for a great birthday. As my Facebook status read, I really do feel loved!

6 comments:

Jane said...

i love it, Erin!! and happy belated birthday! keep letting the good stuff in :-)

dr mel said...

Glad you had such a great day with folks who love you!

Jess said...

yeah! glad your birthday was great...you totally are loved!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Erin!!!

etg said...

no way we'd let you hide on your birthday! thanks for letting us celebrate YOU!!!

Priscilla said...

Yeah, looks like your birthday was oodles of fun. Sorry I missed it. You rock!!